Application deadline: January 4, 2012
Are you passionate about independent media and progressive/radical politics? Are you a talented communicator with an entrepreneurial spirit, ready to take the reins of a respected Canadian magazine? Do you want to work for a grassroots organization that enables you to put your politics into practice?
Briarpatch Magazine seeks a crackerjack Editor/Publisher to jointly oversee all aspects of producing a bi-monthly magazine. As one of two full-time staff in a horizontal workplace that runs on principles of participatory economics including balanced job complexes, the successful candidate will share equal responsibility for core editorial, organizational and administrative tasks, and will report directly to a volunteer board of directors.
Though no candidate is expected to have all of the following, the ideal candidate would have:
• excellent written communication skills, with experience in editing, journalism, graphic design, and/or creative/political writing;
• a grasp of anti-capitalist/anti-oppression/ecological politics and principles;
• a passion for independent media;
• a knowledge of and affinity for Briarpatch Magazine and its mandate;
• an ability to work independently and cooperatively and to juggle diverse responsibilities that range from organizational development to filing, from editorial and art direction to proofreading, and from long-term financial planning to data entry;
• experience administering a non-profit organization, preferably with publishing experience;
• strong computer skills, including familiarity with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel), Adobe Creative Suite, Simply Accounting, Expression Engine or basic website management, and social media;
• a head for finance, numbers and small business management;
• a knack for fundraising and event organizing;
• a socially minded entrepreneurial spirit; and
• a wicked sense of humour.
Please note that the desire and ability to pick up new skills, and the ability to work well with existing employees and board members, are equally important as any of the above qualifications.
This is a full-time, unionized position; wage and benefits as per the collective agreement. The job is based in Regina, Saskatchewan, which is actually a great place to live. (We can provide references to that effect from others lured here by Briarpatch.)
Briarpatch particularly encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds and members of equity-seeking groups.
Please include in your application a cover letter, résumé and short writing sample. Your cover letter should speak to your qualifications for and interest in this position.
Please email applications to email@example.com by January 4. We will confirm receipt of your application but only those candidates chosen for an interview will be contacted thereafter.
Briarpatch Magazine is a non-profit bi-monthly publication. Fiercely independent and frequently irreverent, Briarpatch delves into today’s most pressing social and political issues from a radical, grassroots perspective, aiming always to challenge, inspire and empower its readers.