Briarpatch is seeking submissions for our May/June issue. We are looking for feature articles, provocative essays, investigative reportage, interviews, profiles, reviews, humour, and photography rooted in an anti-colonial and anti-capitalist analysis. If you’ve got a story in mind, we want to hear your pitch!
Queries on any and all topics are welcome but, in particular, for this issue we are looking for features related to:
- radicals and electoral politics
- land-based education
- food sovereignty and food politics (including critical perspectives on widely held views among activists; the relation between urban food movements and class politics; and diet and nutrition within Indigenous communities, both rural and urban)
Queries are due January 8, 2015. If your query is accepted, first drafts will be due by February 11. Your query should outline what ground your contribution will cover, give an estimated word count, and indicate your relevant experience or background in writing about the issue. If you haven’t written for Briarpatch before, please provide a brief writing sample.
Please review our submission guidelines before sending your query to editor AT briarpatchmagazine DOT com.
Our standard rates of pay are as follows:
- $50 – Profiles, short essays, parting shots (generally <1000 words)
- $100 – Feature stories, photo essays
- $150 – Research-based articles and investigative reportage (generally 1500-2500 words)
We reserve the right to edit your work (with your active involvement) and cannot guarantee publication.