Canada Day has passed, but Canada 150 hasn’t. Idle No More, Defenders of the Land, and many others have asked that people “send a loud and clear message to Canada and the world that we will no longer accept the colonial system of dispossession, dependency and oppression that Canada has imposed on us for the past 150 years.”
To keep the learning going, we decided to team up with Between The Lines to do a giveaway: if you subscribe to Briarpatch by July 31st, you’ll get our powerful Canada 150 Confronted issue delivered by mail, and be entered for a chance to win one of three (3) copies of the must-read book, Unsettling Canada: A National Wake-up Call, by Arthur Manuel and Grand Chief Ron Derrickson.
Unsettling Canada is a breathtakingly beautiful story of Indigenous resistance, strength, and movement building. Unsettling Canada echoes the power of George Manuel’s The Fourth World, centering the heart of the narrative deep inside a kind of Indigenous intelligence rarely shared outside our communities. This is the critical conversation that Canada and Indigenous peoples must have because it is centred on land, and, therefore, it is one of the most important books on Indigenous politics I’ve ever read. – Leanne Betasamosake Simpson, author of, most recently, This Accident of Being Lost, and former Briarpatch Writing in the Margins contest judge.
Subscribe to Briarpatch or renew your existing subscription before the end of the day (11:59 PM CT) on July 31, 2017, and be entered for a chance to win a copy of the book. Those whose subscriptions or subscription renewals are received by mail by the deadline will also be entered. There is no purchase necessary to be entered in the draw (see #3 of Contest Details below).
Due to Canadian law, entrants in this draw must be Canadian residents. A Canadian address must be provided.
Many thanks to our friends at Between The Lines, publisher of Unsettling Canada, for helping make this draw possible.
Get your Briarpatch subscription by the end of the month and a copy of Unsettling Canada could be yours!
1. To be eligible for this Contest, an individual must be a legal resident of Canada. Employees of Briarpatch, the Briarpatch board of directors, and family members and members of households of employees and board members are not eligible to participate.
2. The Contest begins at 5:00 PM CT on July 11, 2017 and ends at 11:59 PM CT on July 31, 2017 (the “Contest Period”) after which time the Contest will be closed and no further entries will be accepted.
3. To enter, either:
a) Subscribe to Briarpatch Magazine or renew your subscription during the contest period by making a subscription purchase either online at https://briarpatchmagazine.com/subscribe/ or by mail to Briarpatch Magazine, 2138 McIntyre St, Regina, SK, S4P 2R7, or;
b) Email your name, street address, postal code, phone number, and email address to email@example.com with subject line “Entry to Unsettling Canada draw”. There is no purchase necessary with this entry method.
4. Limit of one (1) entry per person. In the case of multiple entries, only one entry will be counted.
5. Entries must be received by the end of the contest period.
6. There are three (3) prizes available consisting of one copy each of the book Unsettling Canada by Arthur Manuel and Grand Chief Ron Derrickson, published by Between The Lines Press.
7. Each prize has an approximate value of $29.95 CDN.
8. Prizes must be accepted as awarded and cannot be substituted or redeemed for cash.
9. Winners will have the book mailed to them to an address in Canada
10. Briarpatch shall not assume any liability for lost, damaged or misdirected Prizes.
11. Three (3) winners shall be selected on or about July 20, 2017 in Regina, Saskatchewan, by random selection by Briarpatch from all eligible entries received during the contest period.
For more information, please contact Dave at firstname.lastname@example.org